“Serving our community since 1952, the Austin Humane Society (AHS) is the longest standing no-kill shelter in Austin. AHS transforms the lives of animals and the people who love them through life-saving programs that find animals homes, serve animals and people in times of crisis, prevent future homelessness through spay and neuter, and engage the community to be a part of the solution. Over the past year, AHS has unleashed hope for over 11,000 animals thanks to the generosity of our donors.”http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/about-us/
- Dog Volunteers / BRATTs (Behavior Re-Homing Assessment Training Team): Work with AHS’s dogs to keep them happy, healthy, and well-socialized during their stay, and help them find their forever homes.
- Cat Volunteers: Work with AHS’s cats to keep them happy, healthy, and well-socialized during their stay, and help them find their forever homes.
- Foster a pet: Open your home and provide socialization and love to a shelter animal while they wait to find their forever home. Foster volunteers must fill out a Foster Inquiry Form.
- Community Service Restitution: Individuals fulfilling community service requirements for the City of Austin Municipal Court may complete their hours helping AAC. Participation must be scheduled ahead of time with proper paperwork, and volunteers must be 18+ years of age.
- Watch an online virtual tour of AHS.
- Register for a volunteer orientation. Orientation includes a one-time fee: $20 for Students with ID, $20 for Seniors 60+, $35 for all others, $0 for fosters.
- Attend an in-person orientation.
- For dog volunteers, attend an additional two-hour training.
- Commit to volunteering at least three months for two hours each week.
- Must be 14+ years of age. All volunteers under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times while volunteering. Ages 16 and 17 may volunteer independently with parental consent.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to AHS’s Volunteer page.
Or visit their homepage: http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/
Austin Humane Society Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness