“Austin Wildlife Rescue is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to helping sick, injured, and orphaned wildlife in the Austin area. We have been a proud Central Texas tradition since 1977. AWR started as a small group of concerned individuals from diverse backgrounds with a common interest in providing experienced care for wildlife. From the small core of individuals, Wildlife Rescue has grown into a widespread network of licensed rehabilitators, trained staff members, and dedicated volunteers. Over 7,000 wild animals are cared for each year.”https://www.austinwildliferescue.org/
Volunteers are only accepted three times per year ahead of the busiest wildlife season. Applications are posted on the AWR website the first week of January, April, and July until the allotted spots are filled.
All AWR volunteers help with daily operations activities at AWR’s rehabilitation center in Elgin.
- Feeding animals.
- Doing laundry.
- Cleaning cages and dishes.
- Additional tasks depending on the needs of the day.
- All volunteers must commit to a minimum of one shift per month, with one shift per week preferred. Shifts are in the morning, afternoon, and evening shift in the busy season (March–September) and in the morning and afternoon in the off-season (October–February).
- Must be 18+ years of age.
- Be comfortable with handling bugs for feeding.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Complete an application, attend an introductory class, and attend an additional in-person three-hour training shift.
- The introductory class costs $20 and is the only fee required.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to AWR’s Volunteer page.
Or visit their homepage: https://www.austinwildliferescue.org/
Austin Wildlife Rescue Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness