“At the Central Texas SPCA, we rescue abandoned and homeless dogs and cats at risk of euthanasia and provide them with a unique home-like shelter with spacious indoor condos for the cats, size-appropriate crates for the dogs, as well as outdoor kennels and off-leash play areas for the dogs. For over 30 years, we’ve been dedicated to personalized, force-free, 1:1 care and attention of each and every one of our rescued animals to ensure they are healthy, and well-adjusted before their adoption. Our adoption process is informative and pleasant with a friendly staff.
Since 1988, we’ve rescued over 7,000 dogs and cats from other shelters and found them forever homes.”https://www.centraltexasspca.org/
Volunteers help plan or participate at special events, work on special projects, and/or advocate CTSPCA’s mission.
CTSPCA has three levels of volunteers:
- Youth Volunteers: Ages 10-15 are allowed to visit with both cats and dogs but must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times.
- Regular Volunteers: Ages 16+. Ages 16–17 do not require parental supervision but must have a signed parental release at orientation.
- Lead Volunteers: Highly experience volunteers who are trained and knowledgeable on all aspects of the organization and can provide guidance to new volunteers and/or visitors to the shelter.
- One-time opportunities: CTSPSCA will also organize one-time volunteer opportunities for groups or individuals working on a special project. Groups are limited to a maximum of 10 people. All service projects must be scheduled when the shelter is closed to the public. For group projects, you must submit a request at least 3–4 weeks in advance.
- Other opportunities: Lend your skills and experience to help with event planning, marketing, fundraising, serving on CTSPCA’s board, and more.
- Court-mandated community service: Individuals can complete their community service for Travis or Williamson County at CTSPA. Must be 18+ years of age and have an assigned probation officer.
- Submit a volunteer application.
- Make a commitment of at least two hours per month for at least six months each year.
- Attend a Basic Orientation class and a Dog Handling class within a two-month window.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to CTSPCA’s Volunteer page.
Or visit their homepage: https://www.centraltexasspca.org/
Central Texas SPCA Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness