About Front Steps
“Front Steps provides a pathway home for our neighbors experiencing homelessness by offering emergency shelter, affordable housing, recuperative medical care, supportive services, and community awareness.“https://www.frontsteps.org/who-we-are/
- Mail & Hygiene Desk: Help staff manage the hygiene desk, connect clients to services, coordinate mail and messages, and dispense hygiene products.
- Kitchen Volunteer: The ARCH Overnight Shelter serves dinner and breakfast daily to all residents of the overnight shelter. Volunteer in the afternoon to prep food and in the early evening to serve meals.
- Resource Desk: By the source of information for clients. Help manage the laundry list, the long-distance phone call system, answer the phones, use the computers to answer client questions, and distribute water bottles. Must commit to at least four hours per week for at least three months.
- Computer Lab: Partner with Austin Free-Net to help clients with resumes, job searches, and housing research.
- Administrative: Assist with data entry, community mail-outs, website maintenance, etc.
- Obtain donations: Help Front Steps collect donations for clients.
- Blankets and Cold Weather Shelters: Help run temporary shelters on severe weather nights.
- Must be 18 or older to volunteer onsite with clients, but youth under 18 can volunteer with a parent or guardian to complete other volunteer tasks.
- Submit a volunteer application.
- Attend a volunteer orientation.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to Front Steps’ Volunteer page.
Or visit their homepage: https://www.frontsteps.org/
Front Steps Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness