“Green Corn Project (GCP) is a grassroots, volunteer-run organization dedicated to helping Central Texans in need grow their own organic vegetables. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit, GCP installs organic food gardens for elderly, low-income, and disabled community members as well as for elementary schools, community centers, and shelters in underserved areas of Austin. We turn unused land into garden beds that provide food, education, and a sense of accomplishment and pride for all involved in their creation and maintenance.”http://www.greencornproject.org/mission-2/
- Dig-ins: Join GCP with projects like helping someone start their own vegetable garden or mulching a school garden for summer.
- Dig-in Leader Training: Receive special training so that you can lead the next Dig-in.
- Seeds to Start workshops: Help out with this semiannual event that teaches Austinites how to grow their own nutritious food.
GCP does not list volunteer requirements on their website.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to the GCP’s Volunteer page.
Or visit their homepage: http://www.greencornproject.org/
Green Corn Project Locations (n/a)
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness