“Women’s Storybook Project (WSP) of Texas is a special program that helps incarcerated mothers do what moms have always done to comfort and nurture their children—read them bedtime stories, using their own voices to love, reassure, and encourage them from miles away.”https://storybookproject.org/
- Volunteer in a prison facility to help with the recording of books
- Volunteer at a book event to distribute brochures and answer questions about WSP
- Host an “Open Book Party” to raise awareness about WSP
- To volunteer in a prison:
- Must be a female of age 18 or older.
- Pass a background check conducted by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ).
- Receive a mandatory four-hour TDCJ training.
- Serve a minimum of once every 12 months to keep your training status current.
- Submit a volunteer application.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to WSP’s Get Involved page.
Or visit their homepage: https://storybookproject.org/
Women’s Storybook Project of Texas Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness