About Hospice Austin
“As the first hospice in Central Texas, we have end-of-life care expertise that only decades of experience can teach. And as Austin’s only nonprofit hospice, we provide care to any person who needs us, regardless of age, diagnosis, or ability to pay. All of our resources go toward services that benefit each patient and family, not to owners or investors.”https://www.hospiceaustin.org/about-us/
- Patient/family support: Bring companionship to patients and their loved ones. Visit and read with patients, run errands, write letters, listen to music, play cards or games, take walks, provide transportation to appointments, and give the caregiver time to get away for short periods.
- Bereavement support: Assist as a support group facilitator, and be an understanding listener for family members whose loved ones have died.
- Office support: Help with administrative office activities.
- Community awareness: Act as an ambassador for Hospice Austin, sharing their story at community events like health fairs.
- Special skills and services: Provide your special talents for the benefit of patients and their families (e.g. massage therapy, hair cutting, pet therapy, and music). There is also a big need for Spanish-speaking volunteers.
- Be 18+ years of age.
- Commit to at least one year of service at about four hours per week.
- Complete a volunteer application, including two reference letters, and call Hospice Austin’s volunteer coordinator to request an interview.
- Special training required for volunteers working directly with patients and families.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to Hospice Austin’s Volunteer page.
Or visit their homepage: https://www.hospiceaustin.org/
Hospice Austin Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness