“Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas exists to help children succeed in life. We do this by matching children ages 6 and above with caring adults who serve as mentors, advocates, resources, and guides. Volunteers commit to meeting with their Littles 3 to 4 times per month for a minimum of one year. Our professional staff are there every step of the way to solve problems and support each match’s success.
BBBS serves approximately 1,000 children in Travis, Williamson and Hays counties each year. Our proven model of one-to-one mentoring helps kids build the skills and capacities that lead to lifelong success.”https://www.bigmentoring.org/about/
- Youth Mentoring Services: Be a caring role model for children ages 6+. Meet in the community to do things they enjoy 3–4 times a month for a minimum of one year.
- Big Futures Program: Maintain a relationship with your Little even after high school graduation. Guide them toward one of the “Three E’s”: Enrollment, Employment, or Enlistment.
- Military Mentoring Program: Matches civilians, military personnel, and veterans with child from military families.
- Bigs in Blue Program: Allows law enforcement personnel to serve as mentors to youth in the community.
- Sister to Sister / Brother to Brother: Monthly opportunities for matches to spend time together for Littles ages 11+. Activities may include kayaking, self-defense workshops, and art classes and promote education, career exploration, social/emotional learning, and healthy choices.
Requirements for being a Big:
- Must be 18+ years of age with a valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and access to reliable transportation.
- Commit to a minimum of one year of volunteering.
- Complete forms and surveys needed by program staff, including a background check.
- Interview with an Enrollment Specialist.
- Attend pre-match training.
- Work with a Case Manager to find a Little.
- Initiate contact with your Little on a consistent basis to schedule activities.
- Meet with your Little 3–4 times a month for at least one year.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the BBBS staff.
To apply to be a volunteer, go to BBBSCTX’s Be a Big page.
Or visit their homepage: https://www.bigmentoring.org/
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas Locations
Volunteer Opportunities by Interest
- Affordable Housing
- Arts & Culture
- Children & Youth
- Emergency & Disaster Relief
- Faith-Based Outreach
- Foster Care
- Homeless Populations
- International Aid
- Low-Income Neighbors
- Mental Health
- Neighbors with Disabilities
- Other Opportunities
- Sports & Fitness